Frequently asked questions
- One of the largest calorie and nutrition database.
- Creation of own recipes, calculation of exact nutrient content
- Set custom weight loss goal
- Tracking meals, exercises, creating stats based on them
- Track your daily calorie limit and nutrients
- Saving your daily weight, measurements, showing on flexible graphs
- Textual evaluation, articles, forum, facebook support
1000 calories = 1 kcal (kilocalories)
So calories are not the same as kcal, though they are mistakenly identified in the common language.
However to make things easier we also call calorie a kcal.
What should I do if I can not find a food in the database?
It is certain that this will happen in the beginning, this is common. Our tips for such cases:
- Try changing your search, so just enter the most important keyword (for example, look for "peach brandy" instead of "kosher peach brandy").
- We recommend using google using a quotation mark plus "kcal" (eg "kosher peach brandy" kcal)
- The most reliable source is the free database compiled by the US government.
- Ask your question in the forum "How many calories?" topic.
- Look for a similar thing (eg "brandy").
- Once you find something, you can save it as you Own Food and so over time there will be little food you can not find.
How do I know the weight of my food?
You can use these if you can not measure the weight of the food. However, it can be said from experience that their long-term use is inappropriate. Sooner or later, the dieter starts to cheat, the slice of bread becomes thicker, the piece of cake is getting bigger.
For long-term results, it is recommended to purchase a digital kitchen scale that can accurately measure grams.
After this there is no way to cheat, the bread of a slice will be exactly as much as it really is.
This may seem complicated first, but at the same time it gives the man the pleasant feeling that he records everything carefully and does not allow unwanted plus calories.
That's why we recommend that if you seriously think about dieting, spend 10-20 USD for a good digital kitchen scale.
How many pounds can I lose with calorie counting? How many pounds per week? And what Daily Limit shall I set?
For your part, we recommend that the adjusted weight loss be no more than 0.5 kg per week, but maximum 1 kg per week (generally 0.5-1% of your body weight). Also, be sure to eat at least 1000 to 1200 calories a day, so that your body does not turn into "starving" mode, which will also ruin your weight loss and mood (see News in the Dangers of Fasting). The extra pounds did not crawl in two weeks, so you have to be patient for lasting weight loss.
We know it is depressing to hear when we see a lot of super new slimming method ads promising 2-3 kg per week, but it's still better than disillusioning about these "wondrous" things again and again.
It is important to know that diets that are fast-paced have serious disadvantages:
- You will feel worse physically and mentally, more tired and sick.
- After initial success, weight loss will mostly slow down or stop, then you can easily lose motivation and begin to "cheat", all your efforts wasted.
- When you lose a lot weight, you will actually lose water and muscle instead of body fat
- The yo-yo effect is really effective at this time
How can I edit my Own Foods and Recipes afterwards?
Nutrients - What nutrients are there and what is their function?
Proteins consist of amino acids and are essential for growth and tissue regeneration. Sources of proteins: meat, meat products, fish, eggs, dairy products, legumes and cereals.
Carbohydrates provide our brain and body with the "fuel" needed for our day-to-day tasks. They consist of starches and sugars. Starches can be found in bread, potatoes, cereal products, rice and pasta. Sugar is the source of fruit, vegetables and generally sugary products.
Fats are sources of energy and essential fatty acids. However, they are carriers of fat-soluble vitamins and are essential for cell function. Fats emphasize the flavor of the food (fat is unfortunately delicious ... not accidentally is more flavorful an oil-fried potato than an oven baked). Excessive consumption of fats is not recommended. Ingredients: fatty acids (saturated, unleaded, unpolished), which are named after their chemical structure. Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are unsaturated.
Vitamins and minerals (any small amounts) are indispensable for the proper functioning of the body. Foods can be sources of various vitamins and minerals. Some of them are in alphabetical order (A, C, D, E - vitamins), others named, eg. B1 thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3) candidates. Minerals are indicated by their chemical name (eg calcium, iron, magnesium).
- 10-15% of energy from protein
- 50-55% of the energy from carbohydrate (including sugars)
- 30-35% of the energy from fat (with saturated fatty acids)
Energy content of nutrients:
· 1 g protein = 4 kcal
· 1 g carbohydrate = 4 kcal
· 1 g fat = 9 kcal
- Breast: Stand in a natural straight line with your hands lowered to your body. At the widest part of the back and breast, measure the chest pain so that your thumbs fit under the ribbon. Measure breastbone in bra.
- Waist size: Stand in natural condition. When measuring the waist you should not pull the belly! Before measuring, place a marker on your waist and measure the waistband around it. Leave a finger distance between the waistband and your waist.Do not tighten the tape!
- Hip: Stand in natural condition. At the widest point, measure the hip. Note the distance between the weave and the waist mark.
How to use recipes
More people use the software from the same computer. Can you handle multiple users?
I would like my food / recipe to be visible to others. Is that possible?
- In case of a single occasion: it is worth knowing that the system is functioning without any recipe or food being "secret". So you can send your own foods to others, simply copy the URL link to the food or recipe. If you already have a link to that food, you can open it and eat it. This is an example I created. You cant find it in search bar, still you can eat it because I've just copied its link: https://kaloriabazis.hu/recept/almas_semmi/10026_0_1
- If you often eat same meals/recipes (one household), it is recommended to create a Connected User relationship (see Tools / Connected Users).
- If you add a food / recipe that is useful for other users too, you can recommend it to a common database.IMPORTANT: Recommendations for the common database has strict rules, and non-compliance will result in banning. For example, do not use it to send something to your loved ones (eg "Dads favorite curdy cake").
During cooking the weight of certain foods will change. How can this be properly recorded when creating a recipe?
As a solution to the problem, I recommend that you measure the weight of the whole food before and after preparation (although before it does not make much sense because it is as much as the weight of the ingredients has been added).
So if you have 2 kg of pre-frying something (zero balance can save lives), and after the baking is 1.5 kg, then it means that the calories remained the same but the weight decreased by half a kilo.
How many calories do I need per day?
How does the page count calorie burning?
Calorie burning takes place on two main levels:
1. Daily Routine Kcal burning
Daily Routine Kcal is the calorie burning that you do not have any effect on, regardless of what happens to you. This is determined by two things: your physical characteristics and your daily life.
- Based on your physical characteristics (gender, age, height, weight) you can calculate your daily kcal burning only by your life functions. You burn this amount of calories even if you are lying all day long. This makes up about 67% of your daily calorie burning.
- After you have entered your average physical activity level, you can calculate how many calories you burn through your lifestyle conditions (work, school, home, etc.). This makes up about 33% of your daily calorie burning.
This is the point where you can affect calorie burning. This includes all the exercise and sports that you carry out beyond your regular daily life. These are always calculated separatedly in the green box on our website, where you can add your exercise one by one, and calculate the calorie burning associated with it. It's worth knowing how much calories you burn with a sport, depending on your current weight (with the same amount of running a heavier man burns more calories).
I want to gain weight. Can the site help with that too?
If you want to gain weight, set your planned weekly weight loss by using a negative sign in Goal.
Your Daily Limit will work, but text reviews are not yet programmed
For example, "Today you can eat 1000 kcal," you mean "You should eat at least 1000 kcal today", so the goal is to exhaust your Daily Limit rather than stay below it.
I want to set a new goal. What happens to my existing data?
- On one hand the change of your weight. A heavier person burns more calories during the day (bigger machines needs more fuel), and can eat more calories for the same amount of weight loss. Likewise, as you become thinner, your Daily Limit will be slightly reduced.
- Another determining factor is if your actual weight loss differs greatly from your plan. You should know that the target date set in your weight loss schedule is fixed by the program, so if you have a deviation from the plan, your daily frame will be adjusted to reach your goal in time (neither before nor later). For example, if you have a one-half year plan, but you've been lost half of your weight over a month, the program will increase your caloric capacity to slow down. This can cause extreme high or extreme low calorie. In such cases, you may want to set a new weight loss plan (see next question).
What should I do if I lose weight faster than planned?
- you keep yourself up to the target date you want: you'll need to raise your calories if you do not want to lose weight too fast. This is also justified because too fast weight loss leads to a more prudent outcome: after a while you get stuck and you do not understand why weight loss stops (your body switches to starving mode ... though this is mostly the first few weeks). A slower diet with a little higher calorie limit can results in a constant, sustainable level of weight loss.
- Of course, you may decide that you do not agree with the proposal of the website. In this case, you can set a new goal (do not be afraid, you will not lose your old data, just keep in mind that in the Graph menu, change the "from" value to the original start date, to see your all-way progress, or you can set fixed calorie limit (by clicking on the "setting" button in the yellow Daily Limit box). These are also perfectly good solutions, as most users can understand which values fits them better (not too high or not too low) after tracking his diet for some months.
Why is there a Water Consumption counter?
How do I calculate calories if I eat in a restaurant?
You do not have to give up on the pleasure of going into a restaurant :). If you pay attention to what you eat and don't cheat yourself, you will make a good decision even when you can not determine the calorie content of a meal.
If you have been using calorie counting for some time, you will know without a calorie-chart that it is worth to ask for cooked potatoes instead of your french fries.
Why does the site calculates different calorie burning for different people?
This is because calorie burning of sports is calculated on the basis of the individual weight of the users.
For example: 10 minutes running a 120 kg person burns twice as many kcal as a 60 kg person.
Is there any way to add only kcal? (I've eaten a new meal I know 400 kcal, but I do not want to save it to the database).
Write "kcal" or "calorie" in the "What did you eat?" box.
Next, tell how many "pieces" you ate, then "I ate".
You can do the same with carbohydrate, protein, fat. These are called carbohydrates (nutrients), proteins (nutrients), fat (nutrients).
I would recommend a meal or a recipe to the common database. What are the rules?